Monday, February 27, 2017

{Book Review} This is Reckless by Kennedy Fox



This is Reckless by Kennedy Fox
Published: February 28th, 2017
Series: The Checkmate Duet #3
Source: Received in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Drew Fisher is the type of guy every girl wants.
Noble police officer by day, charming prince by night.
He has no idea the effect he has on women, especially me—his little sister’s best friend.

I’m the blonde Southern belle who lives up to the cliché, except I have my own quirks. I’m smart as a whip, can change my own oil, and recite The Pledge of Allegiance backward, but he doesn’t see that girl.

It’d be easier to forget him if he wasn’t my roommate and if the first thing I saw in the morning wasn't his shirtless body covered in tattoos. I’ve crushed on him since the day we met, but he’s made it perfectly clear where we stand. Just friends.

I know I need to move on and accept that his feelings will never be mutual, but every day he smiles at me, I’m left dreaming of what if.

He has girl issues, and I’ve got a crush I can’t deny.
We’re friends, but I want more.

One drunken hookup leaves us with much more than a platonic friendship. Pretending it never happened proves to be more difficult than anticipated.

A crazy ex-girlfriend, a dangerous war of stolen glances, and passionate kisses leads to the most reckless battle yet. I won’t be a pawn in his game, but I’ll play by his rules if it will show him I’m the one worth breaking them for.

Checkmate, Prince Charming.

{Review}
Checkmate: This is War and This is Love were some of by favorite reads of 2016, but honestly, Checkmate: This is Reckless blew them out of the water (which is absolutely mind-blowing since I LOVED them both)!  I was really struggling this month with a HUGE reading slump, but this book pulled me from the pits of despair.  I was absolutely captivated and entranced by this story!  I can not recommend these book enough.  If you love contemporary romance books, go pick these up!

It is a huge accomplishment to be able to take a very used, but loved romance troupe and make it fun and unique.  I am always worried going into books that follow a very popular story line, which this book has two (friends to lovers & best friends brother romance), because they always seem predictable.  But this is ANYTHING but predictable, which I should have known from the end of This is War!  I will warn readers that this book does end on a cliffhanger, but the next book, This is Effortless, comes out soon!

The writing in this book was superb!  It was fast-paced, exciting and flowed effortlessly.  It is written in first person, alternating POV's between Drew and Courtney, which is my favorite writing style.  Although this book is full of emotion and heart, it also cracked me up SO many times.  I loved the texts/emails between Viola and Courtney!  They were hilarious and made me want to be their best friend too!  I also LOVED the humorous dialogue that Courtney dished up.  She was one of my favorite parts from the previous books and she did not disappoint!    

I love the relationship between these characters!  The friendship between Viola and Courtney is so genuine and cute.  I also liked the bromance between Drew and Travis.  I think showing the relationships the main characters have with others helps to make them more real and well-rounded.  I also loved getting to see a little expansion on Viola and Travis' relationship.  I loved that they both rooted for their friends to be together and helped to 'push' them along!

The romance in this book was amazing!  I did not think that I could fall in love more than I did with Travis and Viola, but Drew and Courtney stole my heart.  It was one of my most absolute favorite things about this book.  Drew was PERFECT!  All the sweet gestures he would do for Courtney literally made my heart melt into a puddle.  I loved that Drew and Courtney started as best friends and it evolved into more.  The fact that they already did 'couple' things, like watching movies and going to get ice cream, only helped show their chemistry even more.

These books are absolutely amazing and I love every bit of them!  I can not wait to read the sequel to this book, This is Effortless, because that ending blew my mind!  These books are so addictive, fun, full of drama and angst.  I highly recommend this book, but I recommend starting from the beginning and picking up This is War first to get the best reading experience and not spoil the previous books.


{Rating}

“It feels like forever was meant to happen with him and after fighting the urge, he finally came to his senses, and I don't ever want to break away."

Also check out some Kennedy Fox's other books below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...