Sunday, February 12, 2017

{Book Review} You by Caroline Kepnes



You by Caroline Kepnes
Published: September 30th, 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books
Series: You #1
Source: Bought
Genre: Contemporary, Thriller
Pages: 422
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

{Review}
So I am probably going to be one of the only people who did not enjoy this book.  I don’t know if it was all the hype surrounding it or if it is just not for me, but it was really hard to get through, at least the last half was.  I thought that You was going to be a lot darker and messed up than it really turned out to be.

The one thing that I really enjoyed about the book was the writing.  I loved that the story was told in second person, making the book unique and very personal.  I don’t think this book would have felt the way it did if Kepnes decided to go a different direction with the writing.  This book is full of pop culture references, which can really make a book great, but if you don’t pick up on all of them (say me), it can really hinder the reading experience. 

As for the plot of this book, I struggled with it at times.  I really enjoyed the first half of this story, intrigued by what was going to happen, but then nothing was happening.  And when I turned the last page of the book, I literally felt like “what was the point of that?”.  I never really got anything out of the story.  I found the pacing slow moving, which did allow the characters to be well developed, but I felt no connection with any of the characters in this book.

When I read other reader’s reviews of this book, Joe was described as a creepy stalker, but was also strangely loveable.  Unfortunately, I did not connect with him.  In fact, I felt absolutely nothing towards him, which is worse than hating him because I just did not care what happened.  Beck was a pretty unlikable character, but I did find her more interesting than Joe at times.  All of the characters were really developed and complex, but I just lacked a connection to really fully commit to them.

Overall, this book would probably be enjoyed my some, but not just me.  It was too slow and focused mostly on developing characters I neither connected to nor liked.  I would not be opposed to reading something else by Kepnes, but I will not be reading the sequel to You.  But I would not let my review make or break this book for you; this is just a personal preference. 

{Rating}


“You are a women and I am a man and we belong in the dark together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...