Sunday, March 12, 2017

{Book Review} Born Sinner by S.L. Jennings



Born Sinner by S.L. Jennings
Published: August 11th, 2016
Series: Se7en Sinners #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Pages: 285
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Twenty-two years ago, I was cut from a cold, sodden womb, and cradled in the filth and poverty of Chicago’s concrete arms. Statistically, I wasn’t supposed to survive these streets past the age of eighteen.

Fate had a different plan.

I was bred for one purpose and one purpose only: to unleash death and destruction on my world.

My thoughts are power.

My words are weapons.

Evil created me then grace tried to save me. But first… they tried to kill me.
They call themselves the Se7en. They are sin and salvation, and everything we’ve feared from the beginning of time. And their leader is the deadliest of them all.

He doesn’t lose.

He doesn’t compromise.

And most importantly, he doesn’t distract himself with mortal weakness.

Not until me.

Kill one to save a million.

That’s what he told me when he took me as his prisoner.

Kill one to save a million.

That’s what he’s been trying to tell himself ever since he took me into his arms.

{Review}
Its books like this that is slowly making paranormal romance one of my favorite genres!  I was completely immersed within this world. It was fascinating, riveting and I could not turn the pages fast enough.  I am not well versed in angel/demon books, but it felt original and unique.  This was my first book by S.L. Jennings, but it will most defiantly not be my last.

The writing in this book was superb, the pacing was perfect and it was full of action.  The beginning was slightly confusing at first because readers are immediately thrown into the action without explanations, but everything is revealed slowly and it really worked for the plot.  I also LOVED all of the information about the different demons and how they have evolved to fit into the current society.  The world Jennings created felt so vast and dynamic.  I hope that readers are given the chance to explore it more in the next book.

The characters were fantastic.  I loved Eden, the main protagonist!  She was sassy and independent, which I LOVED.  It would have been so easy for her character to play the damsel in distress, but never once did she fall into this character trope.  L, the leader of the Se7en, took some getting used to.  He was the typical alpha male, who is reserved and stand-offish until he meets Eden.  She slowly breaks his walls down and I can’t wait to see how their relationship grows. 

The secondary characters were great; however, sometimes I would mix them up.  I have never been good with names, so with such a big cast of characters (some with unusual names) was confusing to me at times.  One BIG plus for me was that each character was completely different.  They all had their separate personalities and I really hope that their characters are developed more in the next book.

The romance was good.  It did not blow me away, but I defiantly felt the angst between Eden and L!  I liked how Eden would tease L, creating a fun banter between the two.  I could really feel the connection between them!  I do have to say that this book is defiantly for mature readers.  At times I was a little out of my comfort zone, but overall, I thought that it added to the plot and story.

One thing that did disappoint me was the ending.  It was good, but I felt like too many clues were given that I could see it coming from a mile away.  I think I would have rated this book 5 stars if it would have been alluded to less so that when the big reveal happened, it would have been like a slap across the face.  I mean, it could have totally blown my mind if it was done differently!  Maybe it will take other readers off guard, but any seasoned readers will not be fooled.  It does end on a cliffhanger, so be prepared.

Overall, I LOVED reading this book!  It was fun, but also dark and twisted.  I think that this was an amazing start to a series I can already tell is going to be EPIC!  I do really want to pick up some of Jennings other books, especially the Dark Lights series since those characters do have a pretty substantial role in this book.  If you like paranormal romance or angel/demon books, pick this one up!

{Rating}


“We’re all sinners, Eden.  Some of us just sin differently than others.”

Also check out some of S.L. Jennings’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...