Sunday, March 26, 2017

{Book Review} Dirty English by Ilsa Madden-Mills



Dirty English by Ilsa Madden-Mills
Published: October 10th, 2015
Series: English #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 272
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

A scarred fighter.
A girl with rules.
One night of unbridled passion.


There are three things you need to know about Elizabeth Bennett: she’s smart as a whip, always in control, and lives by a set of carefully crafted rules. She’s learned the hard way that people you love the most always hurt you in the end.

But then she meets Declan Blay, the new neighbor at her apartment complex.

A tattooed British street fighter, he’s the campus bad boy she’s supposed to avoid, but when he saves her from a frat party gone bad, all her rules about sex and love fly out the window.

She gives him one night of unbridled passion, but he longs for more.

With only a cardboard-thin wall separating their bedrooms, he dreams of possessing the vulnerable girl next door forever.

One night. Two damaged hearts. The passion of a lifetime.

{Review}
This book reminded me of Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire with the fact that both take place in college with alpha male characters that get money from illegal fighting rings.  So if you loved those aspects from Beautiful Disaster than I would defiantly pick up this book because it was a very enjoyable read!  It was full of characters with depth, a fast-paced plot and an amazing romance.  This has defiantly made me want to pick up more from Ilsa Madden-Mills this year!

I thought the writing was great!  It had beautiful passages, but was still easy and fun to read!  I found myself gravitated to this story, wanting to read it any time I had a free moment.  I also really enjoyed the plot, but at times, it did seem a little like a Lifetime movie.  It followed a very basic story line, which made it predictable, but I never found myself becoming bored.  I am not a reader who demands extreme originality, so that did not bother me.  I do think that books that fall into a typical trope does need to throw in some spice to keep readers attention and I think that this book did that with the great character development.

These characters were very well developed and dynamic.  I really loved Elizabeth!  She was strong and independent, but also broken and fragile.  I loved seeing her overcome her past and concurring the anxiety that came with it.  I was really surprised at how much I loved Declan.  He was reserved, strong and silent.  I liked that he had a slightly turbulent past, but I wish that it would have been more developed.  Elizabeth’s struggles really took center stage and I wish that it would have been a little bit more equal.

I also loved the secondary characters in this book!  Dax, Declan’s twin brother, was hilarious, outgoing and the life of the party.  He was pretty much the complete opposite of Declan in every way.  I am REALLY excited to dive deeper into his character in the next book, Filthy English!  I also really enjoyed Shelly and Blake, Elizabeth’s best friends.  I love books that showcase a dynamic friendship because it gives the characters more depth.

The romance in this book was great.  Declan and Elizabeth were like magnets, constantly being drawn to each other, but also pushing away before they became too close.  The majority of the book focuses on them struggling with the possibility of a relationship, which I wish it would have showcased some more of them actually together.  It is always a little disappointing reading what leads up to a relationship, but then only getting to see the couple together for a short time before the book ends.  I wanted more! 

I really enjoyed this book.  It was fast-paced with amazing characters.  I cannot wait to read more from Madden-Mills in the future and will defiantly be picking up the companion to this book.  I do hope that it does allow readers to see more of Declan and Elizabeth and I am VERY excited to read from Dax’s POV!  I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good romantic read!


{Rating}


“Love is a knife that cuts our your heart piece by piece, feeding it to the boy you love.”

Also check out some of Madden-Mills’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...