Sunday, March 5, 2017

{Book Review} Ex Games by Stella Rhys



Ex Games by Stella Rhys
Published: November 18th, 2016
Series: Standalone
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

What’s ice-cold but hotter than hell? Rebounding with your ex’s older brother, of course.

A perfect storm led me to this place. Ghosted by my fiancé, I was suddenly broke, heartbroken and facing eviction. Enter Mason Leo, the six feet and two inches of pure muscle and arrogance I’ve hated with a passion since the day we met. The man is cocky, womanizing and ruinously gorgeous.

Worse than that, he’s my ex’s brother. And for the next two weeks, he gets to do with me as he pleases.

I’ll explain.

With both our exes – wait for it – set to marry each other in St. Lucia, I’ve agreed to let Mason pay my debts so long as I play his date. My only job is to keep my clothes on while I get my closure. Because as much as I hate Mason Leo, the man is a walking sex god. And in the name of revenge, he gets to take me out, show me off – dress, touch and kiss me with those wicked lips. It’s all for show, but every night in paradise with him brings more drinks, more drama and another temptation, so no matter what I do, I can’t stop reminding myself this:

There’s absolutely no good to come from f*cking my ex’s brother.

No matter how good it’ll feel.

{Review}
When I read the synopsis of this book, it reminded me of a cute, fluffy contemporary read and I am happy to say that it was exactly that.  I love books like this because it is so nice to come home after a stressful day of work to relax and dive into an enjoyable read.  I would not say that it was groundbreaking, but I did defiantly find myself being pulled into the story and caring about these characters.  If you love chick-flick movies, then I think you would have a great time enjoying this lighthearted read!

Rhys writing was good and the pacing was steady.  I am not a very experience reader when it comes to the ‘fake relationship’ trope, but I would say that it was done nicely.  However, some aspects of the story seemed a bit dramatic or farfetched.  Also, I honestly didn’t know how I would feel about Taylor, the main protagonist, having a relationship with two brothers and it did end up not sitting right with me.  I think it would not have been as bad if Taylor did not have such a traumatic past relationship with Aaron, Taylor’s ex-fiancée.  This aspect hindered me in being able to fully commit to the relationship between Taylor and Mason, Aaron’s brother.

I really enjoyed that the characters were dynamic and well-rounded.  Taylor was a relatable character and I found myself smiling while reading her inner dialogue.  She did come off as bland once-in-awhile, but overall, I enjoyed her narrative.  Mason would have to be the standout in this book!  He was charming, sweet and charismatic.  I really wish that this book would have been written in duel POV so readers would get a better understanding of his character.  I was also surprisingly intrigued by Aaron’s character.  Although he was the “bad guy” in the situation, a part of me wanted to know more about him and what was running through his mind during the events that took place. 
The romance in this book was great.  It was slow burning and I thought the progression was absolutely perfect.  I could see their feelings grow for each other over the course of the book and by the end, I was rooting for them to be together.  I did have a slight problem with how perfect Mason’s character seemed to be in this relationship, which at times made it feel not real since he was known as a 'player' or 'ladies man'.  Mason’s extravagant gifts and gestures when he had not been in a serious relationship seemed a bit farfetched. 

There was a bit of a twist at the end that I very much enjoyed.  I love it when authors throw something into contemporary romances that readers were not expecting.  So many books in this genre are the same, so it was nice that Rhys spiced it up and added an interesting component.

By the end, I was happy that I read it and really want to try out some of Rhys’s other books.  However, I would not classify this read as anything unique or life changing.  It was a cute, fun read that would be a nice escape book for a weekend or something to bring to the beach/vacation. 

{Rating}

“And like our whirlwind romance, it would be that much better because we waited.  Because we stretched ourselves to the breaking point before giving ourselves the reward.”

Also check out some of Stella Rhys’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...