Wednesday, March 1, 2017

{Book Review} Grip by Kennedy Ryan



Grip by Kennedy Ryan
Published: March 2nd, 2017
Series: Standalone (Flow is the Prequel)
Source: Received in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Resisting an irresistible force wears you down and turns you out.
I know.
I’ve been doing it for years.
I may not have a musical gift of my own,
but I’ve got a nose for talent and an eye for the extraordinary.
And Marlon James – Grip to his fans – is nothing short of extraordinary.
Years ago, we strung together a few magical nights, but I keep those memories in a locked drawer and I’ve thrown away the key.
All that’s left is friendship and work.
He’s on the verge of unimaginable fame, all his dreams poised to come true.
I manage his career, but I can’t seem to manage my heart.
It’s wild, reckless, disobedient.
And it remembers all the things I want to forget.

{Review}
WOW, this book was perfection!  It was heart-breaking, uplifting, all-consuming, thought-provoking and so much more!  I think it might be impossible for me not to absolutely love anything written by Kennedy Ryan.  Once I start one of her books, it demands all of my attention, keeping me captivated from page one until the end.  And this book was no exception.  I cannot recommend this book enough.  If you don’t pick this book up for the epic romance, pick it up for the vital message written within these pages.

Kennedy Ryan is one of my favorite authors!  Her writing is absolutely breathtaking.  I think that I highlight the most passages in her books because they are all so beautiful.  When I started this book, I was unsure if it could compete with my love for Ryan’s Soul series, but I would say they are on par with one another, but for very different reasons. 

The topics discussed within this book are timeless and have plagued our society for centuries.  I would like to say that I am well educated on racial discrimination, but I am not.  This book helped open my eyes on this topic.  It broke my heart, but also gave it hope.  I love books that are thought-provoking and make you put yourself in someone else’s shoes.  It was done respectfully and I commend Kennedy Ryan for her courage for writing about a topic that is not always easy to talk about.

I LOVE Kennedy Ryan for her amazing writing, but I also love her ability to great complex, well-developed characters.  I think that the characterization of Bristol and Grip are some of the best that I have ever read.  I loved seeing Bristol evolve from what I knew about her from the Soul series.  Giving reason behind her cold, distant demeanor really helped me understand her actions and feel sympathy for her character.  I also LOVED Grip!  He was so charismatic, passionate and honest.  He was one of my favorite characters from the Soul series and I loved seeing his character expanded on. 

Although I am not sure if anything can beat the love story between Kai and Rhyson, this is the closest that I have ever read.  The connection between Grip and Bristol dripped from these pages.  There was so much angst between these two and I loved every minute of it!  These two broke each other trying to muddle through their feelings and I felt my heart-breaking every time one of them would push the other away.  I loved seeing these two characters overcome all of their issues that were keeping them apart. 

This is one of the best books that I have ever read.  I will continue reading whatever Kennedy Ryan writes because it always blows my expectations away.  I always fall in love with her unique stories, complex characters and poetic writing.  I HIGHLY recommend reading Flow and Grip (as well as the Soul series).  This is one author that will instantly become a favorite once you get a taste of how amazing her books are!

{Rating}

“A fiery chord bridges the distance between our bodies, and I want to pull her close enough to burn me, to hurt me, to destroy me.  Sometimes I don’t think I care as long as she’s close.  I just want to feel her, even if it burns me alive.”



Also check out some of Kennedy Ryan’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...