Sunday, April 2, 2017

{Book Review} 72 Hours by Bella Jewel



72 Hours by Bella Jewel
Published: April 4th, 2017 by St. Martin’s Paperbacks
Series: Standalone
Source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Thriller Romance
Pages: 304
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH.
It’s all part of his sick game. A game he’s been planning for an entire decade. Now everything is perfect: One woman and one man have been selected. They used to be a couple—and they can no longer stand one another. They are the perfect victims. He doesn’t intend for the game to be easy. He wants to push them to the brink of insanity, to make his hunt real. . .

A DESIRE WORTH FIGHTING FOR. . .
The couple has been captured and dumped into a massive wooded area. There’s only one rule in this fatal game: They will have 72 hours to find a way out before the sadistic serial killer begins his hunt . . .But what he never could have expected was the explosive passion that ignites between the two ex-lovers—one that makes them strong. Fierce. And determined to do whatever it takes to escape—and to survive. . .

{Review}
I am a bit of a horror movie junkie, with ‘B’ horror films holding a very special place in my heart.  Do you like movies like Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer?  Then I think that you would like this book!   It was fast-paced, thrilling and fun!  I will say that it was not too original and was fairly predictable, but I accepted it for what it was, which was a fun, entertaining read that kept my interest from the first page.

This was my first book by Bella Jewel, but I really enjoyed her writing.  I felt the pacing was absolutely perfect.  Watching these characters try to survive and navigate their way out of the backwoods maze a psychotic killer created was highly entertaining!  Something exciting was happening at every turn and it really kept me turning the pages. 

I enjoyed the characters in this book, but I did struggle with some of their character development.  I really had a hard time connecting with Lara.  Her character arc was just not one that pulled at my heart strings enough, which unfortunately hindered some of my reading experience since the entire book is told in her POV.  I also struggled liking Noah, Lara’s ex-boyfriend and partner in survival, because he came off as very aggressive and mean towards Lara at the beginning of the book.  However, as the story progressed and his character softened, he became my favorite character out of the book.

I really enjoyed the romance!  It added that special element to the story that helped take it to the next level.  I think the reason the romance worked so well was because Lara and Noah knew each other before they were put in this stressful situation.  It allowed the comfort they provided one another to feel more genuine because they had a past.  The romance was not the center of this book, it took a backseat to the action, but provided an extra element to make the plot more dynamic.

One of the biggest issues I had with this book was the killer.  There were short paragraphs in-between some of the chapters in the killer's POV.  I found theses cheesy and, at times, laughable.  I wish they would have been left out because they did not add anything to the story.  Some of my other opinions about the killer would be considered spoilers so I will not mention them, but I did enjoy that it was very evident that the person was mentally unstable and crazy.

This book was predictable, but still really fun.  It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what Noah and Lara were going to face next, but it followed a pretty predictable path that is often found in movies/books like this.  The ending was great and I liked that it showed some of the aftermath and trauma that these characters had to deal with.

Overall, I thought this was a good read.  I think that this would be a great Halloween read for readers who want something thrilling, but not scary.  This book definitely got my heart racing, but I was never scared.  I really want to read more from Bella Jewel, as well as more books within this genre. 

{Rating}

Also check out some of Bella Jewel’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...