Sunday, April 23, 2017

[Book Review} This is Effortless by Kennedy Fox



This is Effortless by Kennedy Fox
Published: April 25th, 2017
Series: The Checkmate Duet Series #2
Source: Received in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Courtney Bishop is as sugary sweet as her famous blueberry muffins.
Southern belle at heart, Cali girl by choice.
She barged into my life and easily became my best friend.
All was great as roommates and just friends, but then I fell for the girl who could chop firewood, deliver baby calves, and bail hay without breaking a sweat.
She's the perfect mixture of sugar and spice, and I love her.

Being more than friends and trying to build our future isn't as easy as it sounds.
Moving forward and creating memories is all I want for us, but when the past continues to come back and haunt me, I'm not so sure she'll stay for the ride.

Loving her is easy, but losing her will break me. Burning passion combined with an undeniable chemistry constantly pushes and pulls us together. In the end, I'll prove we're worth the fight, even when the game is far from over.

Checkmate, sweetheart.

{Review}
This book was the perfect conclusion to Drew and Courtney’s romance!  I devoured it and loved every minute.  These are my new go-to reads when I need a little pick me up or need to relive some stress.  They are fun, dramatic, light-hearted and have some amazingly well-developed characters.  Plus they are full of twists and turns and some of the most epic cliff-hangers!

The writing in This is Effortless was just as flawless as it was in the previous books.  I LOVE that this series is comprised of duets!  It is common for series in the romance genre to be comprised of companion novels, but with duets, it allows the characters and story to be developed without over or under whelming the reader with too much or too little.  This book did have a slightly different ‘feel’ to it since it had so much tension and suspense, where the previous books felt more light-hearted and fluffy.

I LOVE the characters in this series!  Courtney and Viola have got to be some of my favorite female characters.  They are both so quirky, spunky and fun.  I also absolutely adore their friendship, but I felt like it was not showcased in this book as much as it had been in the previous ones.  I LOVED their hilarious banter and texts with one another and really missed those moments in this book.  I also really loved Drew and loved that his sweeter, protective side came out this book.

This duet has one of the biggest villains I have ever read in a contemporary romance….Mia Montgomery!  I loved hating her character and I did enjoy that her past was expanded on, allowing readers to have some history to help explain her actions and motivations.  Mia was absolutely bad shit crazy and I loved every second of it. 

One thing that makes these books really stand out are the great romances.  The connection between Drew and Courtney felt genuine and real.  I loved that they began as friends and evolved to more.  There was definitely no insta-love here!  I will have to say a personal negative to me was that there were a lot of mature scenes; however, I know that won’t be a negative for everyone.

This series keeps getting better and better!  I am SO excited to read Kayla and Logan’s books.  One of my favorite things about this series is that each duet of books are different from each other!  Travis and Viola’s duet was full of angst, Drew and Courtney’s duet kept me on the edge of my seat and I am thinking that Kayla and Logan’s book is going to be full of mystery.  I can’t wait to see if I am right! 

{Rating}

“You believe in soul mates?”  I arch a brow, impressed.
“No.”
I narrow my eyes, confused.
“That doesn’t mean they won’t,” he explains.  “I don’t believe in soul mates, but if I did, there’d be no doubt in my mind you’d be mine.”

Also check out some of Kennedy Fox’s other books in the Checkmate series below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...