Sunday, April 30, 2017

{Book Review} When Stars Collide by Micalea Smeltzer



When Stars Collide by Micalea Smeltzer
Published: August 30th, 2016
Series: Light in the dark #2
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 267
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

We were like two stars orbiting each other—dancing around the possibility that one day we might collide. When we finally did, we opened up a black hole, obliterating everything around us. No one would be the same.
Least of all, us.

Waking up in Vegas married to the guy of your dreams sounds like a good thing, right? Not when you’re Thea Montgomery and said guy is your brother’s best friend.

Thea and Xander have always avoided the connection between them because her brother would never approve. Now, they’re married— the strongest bond you can have as a couple—and they’re not even a real couple…unless they want to be.

Thea wants an annulment immediately, but Xander’s waited too long to see her become his and he won’t let her go easily.

If she wants a divorce, fine, but he wants the summer to convince her that he’s the one. If at the end of the summer she still wants to end their marriage he’ll sign the papers, but until then…

All is not fair in love and war.


{Review}
First off, the covers in this series are absolutely gorgeous and I love how they tie all of these books together.  This was the one book out of the three that are currently out that I desperately wanted to read.  I love forbidden/secret romances and this one sounded right up my alley, but unfortunately, it didn’t blow me away.  I thought it was a good, cute read, but it fell a bit short and felt troupe-y to me.  I wish this book would have met all my expectations, but by the end, the story didn’t captivate me the way I wish it had.

Smeltzer’s writing was really good, just as good as it was in the first book, Rae of Sunshine.  I thought it flowed nicely and was easy to read.  I also really enjoyed that in this book, readers at least got a glimpse into Xander’s mind, with occasional chapters from his POV.  I think the thing that fell flat for me was that there just was not enough drama or exciting plot.  There were moments that sparked my interest, but were too many that did not feel trivial to the plot.  I liked that it really felt like ‘real life’ and how friends would just hang out and talk, but it became somewhat boring in spots.  I think I would have liked this book much better if there would have been more climactic moments, other than the beginning and end.

In my review of Rae of Sunshine, I wrote that Thea was one of my favorite characters from that book and that still holds true.  I thought her character was fun, bubbly and although she was dramatic at times, I found her lovable and cute.  I also thought Xander was amazing!  He was likable, sweet and took care of Thea without being overly protective.  I did enjoy getting to see how Cade’s and Rae’s relationship progressed in this book without overshadowing the relationship between Thea and Xander.

One of my favorite parts of this book was seeing how the relationship between Thea and Xander progressed from friendship to much more.  I liked that they were friends prior to this so that their relationship never seemed too rushed or fake.  I loved how Smeltzer added all the activities (Netflix marathons, eating ice cream, ect) that showed the bond that they shared not only romantically, but as friends.  Their chemistry was very obvious, but was never over-the-top. 

I want to mention that I considered skipping book one, Rae of Sunshine, and reading this book first and I would say don’t do that!  Although it says that these books can be read as standalones, I feel like readers would be missing very large chunks of information that would make this read less enjoyable.  I would HIGHLY recommend picking up Rae of Sunshine first, in fact, I think I may have liked the first book slightly more than this one.

Overall, I feel like this was a good read, but it was nothing unique.  I wish the plot would have been beefed up a bit and had some more exciting moments.  I found my mind wandering a lot during the middle of this book and I began skimming certain portions of it.  I am planning on continuing on with the next book, Dark Hearts, to see if I might enjoy it a bit more.

{Rating}


“Xander and I are like two starts colliding-I always thought we’d turn into a black hole, but right now, in this moment, I see that’s not it at all.  No, we’ve simply merged into one, making a larger, more magnificent star.”



Also check out the other books in the Light in the Dark series below (look at those gorgeous covers)!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...