Wednesday, May 3, 2017

{Book Review} Being Brooke by Emma Hart



Being Brooke by Emma Hart
Published: December 13th, 2016
Series: Barley Cross #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Comedy
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

My name is Brooke Barker...

And I'm a freaking disaster.

No, seriously. I’m a college drop-out working a dead-end job, my best friend Carly’s dog gets more action than I do, and I have more bad dates in my diary than there are movie remakes.

Not to mention I'm completely and utterly in love with Cain Elliott.

The problem? He’s in a relationship. With a girl who’s so plastic she makes Barbie cry herself to sleep with jealousy.

The second problem? He's my best friend.

My shut-up-and-put-on-Harry-Potter, yes-this-is-your-shirt, help-I-have-no-power, crap-I’m-out-of-tampons, kinda best friend.

And that’s all he can be, right?

Right.

{Review}
I absolutely LOVED the synopsis of this book!   It made it sound like a cute, funny, fluffy read, but unfortunately for me, it did not translate to the rest of the book.  I normally don’t find myself gravitating towards romcom type books so it surprised me how badly I wanted to read this and I really wish that I could have loved it, but there were too many problems that made me struggle with fully immersing myself within this read.

The writing of this book as a whole was good.  I thought it was easy to read and flowed very well, but it did drag a bit in the middle of the story.  My biggest problem with this book was the comedy.  I did find some of it humorous, but a lot of it felt like it was trying too hard.  There were one-liners thrown in that didn’t seem to have a purpose and a lot of the comedy reminded me of a meme that I would see in my Facebook feed.  I am not a person who laughs easily, but I found the comedy to be a hindrance to the story rather than something that enhances it.

I did really enjoy the characters in this book, other than the main character, Brooke.  She had a personality that just grated on my nerves.  She seemed to hate everyone, blame everyone for her shortcomings and she was very snarky.  I just did not like her at all!  I really liked Cain’s character, but I never fully fell in love with him.  I found myself liking the side characters, Carly and Zeke, much more than Brooke or Cain.  They were spunky, charismatic and I found them amusing.  I would have much rather read a story from their characters perspective’s rather than Brooke’s.

The one thing that I did enjoy in this book was the romance.  It was slow burning with no intsa-love.  I also adored that Cain accepted Brooke for her quirks and abnormalities, finding them attractive rather than annoying.  Their banter was cute at times too.  Brooke was constantly dishing up one liners and Cain dealt them right back.  However, I wish their romantic relationship would have evolved more than it did.

I think that I would have enjoyed this book much more if the comedy would have been toned down and the main character would have been tweaked some.  I will not be continuing on with this series, but I do want to try something different from Emma Hart considering this was my first book by her. 


{Rating}
  
“That’s why I have birthday parties-to celebrate making it through another twelve months of dealing with a**holes and not killing them.”

Also check out some of Hart’s other books below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...