Sunday, May 28, 2017

{Book Review} The Watcher by Bella Jewel



The Watcher by Bella Jewel
Published: May 30th, 2017 by St. Martin’s Paperback
Series: Standalone
Source: Received in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Contemporary Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

NOW YOU SEE HER . . .
Seven years ago, Marlie Jacobson was kidnapped by a serial killer and lived to tell about it. But it was actually her mother who told the story, in a bestselling book that made Marlie famous. Today, she s known as the girl who slayed a killer. The one who got away. Now, there s just one thing Marlie wants to get away from: her past. But when her little sister disappears, her worst fears comes rushing back with a vengeance

NOW SHE S GONE.
Kenai Michelson is a world-renowned investigator. Dark, brooding, and dangerously good-looking, he s the kind of man Marlie would normally avoid at all costs. But Kenai is her only hope in finding her missing sister. Together, Kenai and Marlie follow a trail of clues that leads them toward the truth and into each other s arms. As her trust in Kenai grows, so does their fierce connection. But will their desire turn deadly as they close in on a ruthless enemy who s watching their every move?

{Review}
This book really surprised me.  I thought it was the perfect coupling of contemporary romance and mysterious thriller.  Both elements were well developed, creating a read that was exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat.  I will say that although it did keep my interest and I kept turning the pages, it was predictable.  It was very similar to many thriller/mystery movies that I have seen and followed a pretty stereotypical pattern.  However, I did still really enjoy the journey and this is becoming one of my favorite types of reads.

I thought the writing was good and I really loved that a lot of the character development was told in flash backs.  The pacing of this book was absolutely perfect.  I never thought that it dragged or slowed down for one second.  This book defiantly had a dark edge, especially all of the past trauma Marlie had to withstand when she was kidnapped by a serial killer.  There were moments of pure terror and extreme traumas, but I would not categorize it as scary or horror. 

I LOVED the character development of Marlie, the main protagonist.  I could see how much her character had grown and evolved from the child she was when she was kidnapped to the current woman who was not going to back down and be defeated.  Although Marlie had a sharp edge, she also had a vulnerability that made her relatable.  I also really enjoyed Kenai’s character, but I felt like he was a bit under developed.  I did enjoy that he was hard at the beginning of the book, but then opened up and showed his softer side when he was with Marlie.

I really liked the romance in this book.  I loved the banter between Marlie and Kenai at the beginning of the book.  Their relationship started with friendship and then slowly evolved to more.  Both Kenai and Marlie are strong, hard characters, but they both had a deep pain that each other understood and bonded over.  Although I wish their relationship would have evolved a bit more during this book, it still felt authentic.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and thought it was a fun read.  It had the perfect amount of darkness and disturbing to make it interesting, but it never crossed the line of becoming gory.  Although this book was a bit predictable, I think the same is true about a lot of other books and movies in this genre.  I enjoyed the process of reading this and think it would be a great read for someone who wants a thriller, but nothing too scary.

{Rating}

Also check out some of Bella Jewel’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...