Sunday, June 4, 2017

{Book Review} Black Lilith by Hazel Jacobs



Black Lilith by Hazel Jacobs
Published: August 15th, 2016
Series: Black Lilith #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary Rock Star Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

When Mikayla Strong graduated college, she expected to hit the ground running. Instead, she’s stuck getting coffee and spellchecking contracts for BassNote Productions. She won’t give up her dream of working in events management, but no matter how many hours she spends scrolling through job ads during her lunch breaks there just don’t seem to be any jobs anymore.

A chance meeting with the drummer of Black Lilith, a hot new band getting ready for its first international tour, sends Mikayla careening out of her comfort zone and into a world of sex, drugs, and rock n roll. She goes from overqualified barista to overqualified PA overnight, and even though the band’s lead singer, Logan Todd, pushes all of her buttons, Mikayla thinks she might just be able to make this new job work for her.

But Black Lilith isn’t as tightknit as they seem in interviews. As Mikayla gets to know the four band members better, a web of lies and heartbreak begins to show itself. Between fans with knives, fights in hotel corridors, and the band’s very strict ‘no dating PAs’ rule, Mikayla’s growing attraction to Logan Todd may be the least of her problems. At this rate, she’ll be lucky if she makes it to the end of the tour...

{Review}
It is no real surprise that rock star romances are my favorite guilt pleasure reads and this one hit the spot.  It drew me in from page one and I was instantly addicted.  I fell in love with each one of these characters, the forbidden romance and the mystery that was weaved between the pages.  This was a fun read full of romance, angst and all the drama that comes from being in a popular rock band on tour.

I really thought that the writing was going to be the downfall to me liking this read.  I really struggle with books written in the third person.  Usually it makes it hard for me to connect to the characters, but this one surprised me.  I do wish that it would have been written in first person, but the writing did not hinder the story for me.  I still was able to get to know these characters and feel like I knew who they were. 

My absolutely favorite thing about this book was the amazing characters.  I LOVED all of the men of Black Lilith.  They each had their own, unique personalities and the connection between the band members was very evident. Although I loved all the band members, Slate was my favorite and I can’t wait to get my hands on his book.  I also really loved Mikayla and related to her character a lot.  Although she was a perfectionist, she still was fun.  Her story line of wanting to fit in and find a place where she belonged really hit home and I think it will do the same with other readers. 

The romance was good, but came off a little luke warm at times.  It was a bit insta-lovey.  I wish that there would have been more time for Mikalya and Logan to get to know each other.  They spent so much time avoiding each other and fighting that I never felt like they got to know one another before expressing their feelings.  I think that it would have pushed this book up to 5 star rating if the romance would have been more consuming.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable rock star romance.  It followed some tropes, but I loved every minute of it.  I have already purchased the next two books and can’t wait to see what Hazel Jacobs comes up with next!

{Rating}
 
“But then she’d gotten to know the band.  She knows that Tommy likes his hair played with when he’s high, that Dash will crawl out of his deathbed for ice-cream, if necessary, and that Slate can see to the heart of people without even trying.  She knows that Logan would give his skin and honor for the people he loves.”

Also check the other books in the Black Lilith series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...