Sunday, July 30, 2017

{Book Review} After by Anna Todd



After by Anna Todd
Published: October 21st, 2014 by Gallery Books
Series: After #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}
 
Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She’s got direction, ambition, and a mother who’s intent on keeping her that way.

But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, tattoos, and lip ring, Hardin is cute and different from what she’s used to.

But he’s also rude—to the point of cruelty, even. For all his attitude, Tessa should hate Hardin. And she does—until she finds herself alone with him in his room. Something about his dark mood grabs her, and when they kiss it ignites within her a passion she’s never known before.

He’ll call her beautiful, then insist he isn't the one for her and disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every time she pushes back, he only pulls her in deeper.

Tessa already has the perfect boyfriend. So why is she trying so hard to overcome her own hurt pride and Hardin’s prejudice about nice girls like her?

Unless…could this be love?

Now newly revised and expanded, Anna Todd’s After fanfiction racked up 1 billion reads online and captivated readers across the globe. Experience the Internet’s most talked-about book for yourself!

There was the time before Tessa met Hardin, and then there’s everything AFTER ... Life will never be the same.

{Review}
This book has been EVERYWHERE and has been on my TBR for a very long time.  I finally decided there is no time like the present and picked this bad boy up.  I liked this book.  It was addictive and I found myself turning the pages to find out what was going to happen next.  There was SO much drama (some unnecessary) and angst, but that was what made it fun.  This is not a read that changed my life but it definitely took my mind off the now and gave me a very enjoyable break from reality. 

I would describe the writing style as simplistic.  There were not flowery passages or overly detailed sentences, it was pretty straight forward, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.  It read fast and flowed easily.  My one problem was with the formatting.  I am sure it was printed this way because this is how it was written on Wattpad, but the chapter breaks were so weird.  It would just stop mid event and then pick up right in the next chapter, cutting it in an awkward way.  However, that did not deter my enjoyment and I found the story extremely addictive!

The characters in this book are probably going to be the problem that most readers have with this book (and the romance).  Tessa comes off as a big push-over and some of her up tightness seems a bit over dramatic at times.  I felt like some of her choices were hypocritical when it came to her boyfriend and her relationship with Hayden.  I most definitely did not agree with the choices she made concerning that, but figured she was young, selfish and naive so it fit her character pretty well.  I actually found myself drawn to Hayden’s character.  He was the typical a-hole, but he actually had a history and back story that intrigued me.  He lashed out a lot, was violent, had outbursts that resembled that of a toddler, but like I said before, I just found him fascinating.

I will say that I really enjoyed the characters of Hayden’s father and fiancĂ©e.  In fact, I would say that they were my favorite characters out of the book.  The other secondary side characters lacked depth and dimension.  I felt like it was a missed opportunity to create a more dynamic story by giving the other characters a background and expanding their relationships with the main characters.

The romance was interesting and I found myself addicted to finding out what would happen next.  I will say that this would NOT be considered a healthy relationship AT ALL!  Do not use this as an example of what you are looking for in a significant other.  But with that said, I could not get enough.  There was so much drama and angst.  I loved the push and pull between Hayden and Tessa.  I felt the chemistry between these two and loved seeing how they pushed each other limits, both in good and bad ways.

I will say, I was pleasantly surprised by the ending.  I did not see that coming AT ALL and I have to give my props to Anna Todd for that!  Of course, I will continue on with this series and I am excited to see what happens next.  I am a bit concerned that it might become boring if it is just more of the same from book one.  This book could have been cut down and I am frightened with the sizes of the next books (especially three!), but I can’t wait to let myself get sucked in to the drama.

{Rating}


Also check out the other books in the After series below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...