Sunday, July 9, 2017

{Book Review} Defy by L.J. Shen



Defy by L.J. Shen
Published: January 31st, 2017
Series: Sinners of Saint #0.5
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

My name is Melody Greene, and I have a confession to make.
I slept with my student, a senior in high school.
Multiple times.
I had multiple orgasms.
In multiple positions.
I slept with my student and I enjoyed it.
I slept with my student and I’d do it all over again if I could turn back time.
My name is Melody Greene, and I got kicked out of my position as a teacher and did my walk of shame a la Cersei Lannister from the principal’s office, minutes after said principal threatened to call the cops on me.
My name is Melody Greene, and I did something bad because it made me feel good.
Here is why it was totally worth it.

{Review}
After finishing Vicious, I could not get my hands on this fast enough!  These books are completely addicting.  Each one is unique and holds its own within the series, but the overall tone and feel of these characters make the plots cohesive.  I HIGHLY recommend these books!

This is my first ever teacher-student taboo love story.  I am not usually drawn to these types of romances, but because it was in the Sinners of Saint series and staring Jaime, I knew I had to give it a chance and….I fell in love!  This story sucked me in and absolutely captivated me.  Although it is short, it still made me fall in love with these characters, their romance and gave me all the feels.

JAIME!!!  I love his character so much he might even be my favorite HotHole!  He is literally the most perfect book boyfriend.  He is loyal, caring and genuine, but he also has a hard edge that keeps him interesting and very swoon worthy!  I also really, really loved Melody’s character as well.  She was very relatable.  Being an adult, but struggling with finding happiness in both your career and how you are as a person is something a lot of 20-somethings have to go through. 

The romance was perfect.  I loved that Jaime took the reins and Melody allowed him to.  Although this romance was taboo, I never really found myself being as torn with my conscience with whether their actions were right or wrong.  I just allowed myself to be swept away by the emotions and story.  I will have to say, I wish there would have been a bit more angst, but with it being a novella, there was not much time to build up to the action.

I do want to throw out there that I read this novella AFTER reading Vicious and I am glad I did.  This book takes place prior to most of the events in book one of this series, but I think I would have struggled with liking some of the characters if I lacked some of the back story I gained from book one.  I think that it can be read in either order, but I am just happy that I read it in-between Vicious and Ruckus.

Overall, I LOVE these books!  This was the perfect addition to an already terrific series.  My only wish is that Jaime gets his own full length novel.  This was not enough and I was begging for more by the last page.  It was nice that Defy did give some snippets into the future, but that just made me want another book even more!

{Rating}


I wanted him to kiss me.  To kiss me hard and soft all at once, a kiss that’d assure me that I wasn’t crazy for discovering what I’d just discovered on this tattered sofa in this tiny apartment.
That I was in love with my student.

Also check out the other books in the Sinners of Saint series below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...