Sunday, July 2, 2017

{Book Review} Vicious by L. J. Shen



Vicious by L. J. Shen
Published: December 27th, 2016
Series: Sinners of Saint #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Emilia

They say love and hate are the same feelings experienced under different circumstances, and it’s true.
The man who comes to me in my dreams also haunts me in my nightmares.
He is a brilliant lawyer.
A skilled criminal.
A beautiful liar.
A bully and a savior, a monster and a lover.
Ten years ago, he made me run away from the small town where we lived. Now, he came for me in New York, and he isn’t leaving until he takes me with him.

Vicious

She is a starving artist.
Pretty and evasive like cherry blossom.
Ten years ago, she barged into my life unannounced and turned everything upside down.
She paid the price.
Emilia LeBlanc is completely off-limits, my best friend’s ex-girlfriend. The woman who knows my darkest secret, and the daughter of the cheap Help we hired to take care of our estate.
That should deter me from chasing her, but it doesn’t.
So she hates me. Big fucking deal.
She better get used to me.

{Review}
There has been SO much hype surrounding this series and after I had finally gave in and read this book, I have to say, it is well deserved!  This book (and series) has become my new addiction!  These characters are absolutely fascinating.  I was constantly trying to decipher these characters and their motives throughout the ENTIRE thing and I still don’t have them all figured out.  I can’t wait to devour the rest of the books in this series and I hope that there are a lot more!

I thought the writing was PERFECTION!  I was absolutely addicted from page one until the very last word!  This book is told in alternating POV, switching between the two main characters, Emilia and Vicious.  I loved that it is set in present day, but a lot of character development is revealed through flashbacks of these characters experiences while in high school.  Everything from past and present weaved together to make an intricate, dynamic story.  It all flowed perfectly and I loved every second of it.

I think the most interesting aspect of this story were the characters.  Emilia was very relatable and down-to-Earth.  I absolutely LOVED her as a character.  She was strong, sassy and stubborn, but also was weak from Vicious’s extreme, humiliating torture.  I also fell in love with Emilia’s sister, Rosie.  She was spunky, brave and never allowed her illness to determine who she was a person. 

Then there is Vicious and the rest of the HotHoles.  They are the characters that you love to hate, particularly Vicious.  His character will not be liked by everyone and will probably be the sole reason why I reader might hate this book.  But, he is one of the most interesting, dynamic characters I have read….EVER!  I was so intrigued by his possessive, self-destructive, damaged-to-the core personality.  He did change, but not in a way that was unrealistic.  He still remained true to himself, but was slightly less damaged by the end.

The romance in this book was messy, complicated and all-consuming.  It was a love that was hard to root for, but you just couldn’t help it.  I wanted these characters to conquer their problems and find happiness in each other.  It was the most epic, dark hate-to-love romance that I have ever read.  I LOVED every moment of raw, carnal, angst between these two characters.  Their chemistry dripped from the pages and I could not get enough!

I HIGHLY recommend this book!  I have, of course, already read Defy and am in the process of reading Ruckus.  They are the epitome of addictive!  This story, these characters, the love that is portrayed between the pages will not be for everyone, but the readers who fall in love with this story will fall hard!    

{Rating}

“I had no one to blame but myself.  No one.
I felt my chin quivering.  This was what he did to me, Vicious.  He broke me.  Again and again and again.  I tried to stay away, but every time he came for me, I caved.”

Also check out the other books by L. J. Shen below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...